Eric Bacaj is a skilled litigator with over a decade of experience winning favorable verdicts for his clients. Mr. Bacaj began his career as a trial attorney in the courtrooms of the Bronx before becoming an award-winning federal prosecutor leading complex white-collar investigations. Mr. Bacaj focuses his practice on criminal defense and civil litigation.
During his time as an Assistant U.S. Attorney, Mr. Bacaj was routinely trusted with the U.S. Attorney’s highest profile cases, including cases featured on CBS Evening News, NBC Nightly News, and the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, among other national news sources.
Mr. Bacaj also distinguished himself in private practice. He was selected by the Maryland State Bar Association as a contributor to Maryland Divorce & Separation Law, 10th Edition, and was recognized as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers in 2020 before returning to the Department of Justice.
J.D., The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of law, 2010
B.A., Denison University, 2007
District of Columbia
United States District Court, Southern District of West Virginia
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
United States District Court, District of Maryland
United States District Court, Northern District of West Virginia
United States District Court, District of Columbia
Federal Bar Association
Bar Association of Montgomery County
- Investigation of the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia, resulting in the fraud convictions of two sitting justices.
- Trial and conviction of a doctor for distributing oxycodone beyond the bounds of medical practice, cited by the United States Attorney General as a model prosecution in the fight against the opioid epidemic.
- Conviction of a county prosecutor for falsely billing the public defender service for more than $125,000 during his time in private practice.
- Forfeiture of more than $1.3 million from a financial institution for failing to effectively operate an anti-money laundering program in compliance with the Bank Secrecy Act.
- Extradition of an alleged drug trafficker profiled in a Netflix true-crime series.
- Mr. Bacaj was awarded a Gold Medal for Exceptional Service, the Environmental Protection Agency’s highest honor, for his role in the prosecution of those responsible for a chemical spill in Charleston, West Virginia, that contaminated the water supply of more than 300,000 people.
- Mr. Bacaj also received the Environmental Protection Agency’s Bronze Medal for Commendable Service for the conviction of a laboratory manager responsible for falsifying water samples at a coal mine to avoid Clean Water Act violations.
- During his previous time in private practice, Super Lawyers recognized Mr. Bacaj as a Rising Star in both Maryland and Washington, D.C.
- 2011 – 2014: Assistant District Attorney
Bronx County (NY) District Attorney’s Office
- 2014 – 2018: Assistant U.S. Attorney
U.S. Attorney’s Office, Southern District of West Virginia
- 2020 – 2022: Trial Attorney
U.S. Department of Justice, Office of International Affairs